UBUD or CANGGU? If you hesitate between these places in Bali or you do not know which place to promote for your Bali tour, I detail below the interests and the criticisms of these 2 sites.
In this way, you will be able to compare and, according to your expectations, you will choose the place that will suit you best, or why not, you may decide to choose both!
Why you can choose UBUD for your stay in Bali Island?
Located in the central part of Bali, the city of Ubud has experienced a first development through the exploitation of medicinal plants. Moreover, its name must come from the word UBAD which means medicine in Indonesian. Then, with the arrival of well-known painters, Ubud charmed artists from all over the world. And, for some time, it is the foreigners who favor the economic growth of this beautiful city.
But why this success? What will globe-trotters look for in this city? Why choose this city over another in Bali?
This is what we will discover in the article below to help you find the best place to stay in Bali!
Choose UBUD for its geographical location
It will take approximately 1h30 by taxi to reach the center of Ubud from Denpasar airport.
Ubud is located in the middle of the island of Bali in the heart of a very green nature (forests and rice fields).
The sites all around Ubud will, therefore, delight lovers of lush landscapes. They will be able to bathe in the waterfall of Tegenungan, to go down the river Ayung in canoe, to explore small typical villages, temples, to walk along Campuhan, to make a trip in the middle of the beautiful rice terraces …
Its location in the center of Bali offers the opportunity to settle and flutter around to discover the different sites of the island of Bali in several days.
In addition, it is very easy to move to Ubud: on foot, by bike, scooter or taxis for more remote sites.
Choose UBUD for its tourist assets
The main tourist attractions are:
- The monkey forest or its real name “Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary“
- Temples and Rice Fields: The temples, in and around Ubud, are numerous and equally interesting (Pura Taman Saraswati, Ubud Palace, Ubud Water Palace, Goa Gajah, Gunung Kawi Sebatu …)
- You will be able to combine the visits by scheduling, for example, a day to visit the village of Penglipuran, the Kehen temple, the village of Rendang and walk in the rice terraces of Rendang …
- The rice fields above the small village of Tegallalang are also to be discovered
- His local market: cf. my article Ubud in 1 day
Choose UBUD for its cultural heritage
Balinese dance shows, yoga classes, meditation sessions, Indonesian cooking classes … It will be impossible for you to get bored in Ubud and there is something for everyone!
And if you like art galleries and painting, you will be spoiled !!! Along the streets, you can discover small Balinese art galleries as well as fine museums such as the Neka Art Museum, the Puri Lukisan Museum, the Don Antonio Blanco Museum, the Agung Rai Art Museum (ARMA). …
Choose UBUD for its animation and its restaurants
Is it because of or thanks to tourism … but Ubud is explosive, alive, animated, noisy some say.
Ubud center will suit all those who like places that move, bars, discotheques, etc … And for those who prefer the calm, hotels or guest-houses a little outside the city center will be perfect! There is also housing at the bottom of the streets and therefore quiet in the center of Ubud (see Esty House our housing below).
Finally, Ubud will please especially those who like to eat! Indeed, there are restaurants on every street corner and the majority are very good (Ibu Rai, Melting wok warung …) and cheap. Note that Ubud is also a paradise for vegetarians and organic lovers (Wulan Vegetarian Warung, the elephant …).
Another nice and well known address to combine restaurant and dance show: Le Cafe Lotus.
Choose UBUD for shopping
Of course, you can shop at the market but as it is very touristy, prices are often much higher than elsewhere.
Otherwise, on each side of the two main arteries of Ubud: Jalan Raya and Dewi Sita, you will find clothing shops, jewelry, souvenirs … for all budgets.
And, in the Jalan Monkey Forest street that leaves from the forest of monkeys and arrives until the art market, you will also find beautiful shops of paintings, sculptures, jewels, clothes …
Choose UBUD for its hotels
There is a great hotel offer for all tastes and all ranges, both in the city center and in the surrounding countryside. Rates range from 15 Euros to well over 100 Euros for the most luxurious accommodations.
Best Cheap hotel in UBUD
For my part, it was a guest-house (which looked more like a hotel) that I had chosen: ESTY HOUSE.
It was a nice discovery and I recommend this accommodation if you search like me:
- A location right in the heart of Ubud, close to the market and good restaurants,
- A calm location;
- Spacious, clean, air-conditioned rooms with a small terrace equipped with a rattan lounge …
- A swimming pool in the middle of a small tropical garden IN THE CENTER OF UBUD!
- Free WIFI ;
- Good breakfasts included in the price: 20 Euros per night !!!
What can be blamed on Ubud?
- To be too noisy and crowded (necessarily because of tourism);
- To become more and more expensive even if prices are still low (necessarily because of tourism);
- To lose some of its authenticity (inevitably because of tourism)!
Why you can choose CANGGU for your stay in Bali Island?
Coastal village, Canggu is located on the South coast of Bali. Certainly less popular than its close neighbors Kuta, Seminyak or even Sanur next to Denpasar, Canggu is enough to seduce tourists! It has become for several years the site of Bali fashion. Let’s see why?
Choose Canggu for its geographical location
Canggu is located southwest of Bali with Kuta to the north (about 10 km), Denpasar and its international airport about six kilometers to the east and the famous site of Tanah Lot just a few km. To top it off,
Canggu is facing a large beach that stretches for ten kilometers.
Its location is, therefore, dreamed for a start of circuit (for sightseeing or to enjoy the pleasures of the beach). One could plan this place also in the final stage of a route because it is located right next to international airport.
It’s true that from Canggu you can easily reach Tanah Lot, Kuta, Legian or even Seminyak by scooter or car. We will be able to discover by road in one day the interior of the island of Bali.
Choose Canggu as a stop on your Bali tour
- Because Canggu is next to the beautiful and famous temple of Tanah Lot;
- But also for its temples along the street of Jalan Batu Bolong and the temple of the dead: Pura Merajapati then the cemetery Pipitan and finally along the beach: Pura Batu Bolong and Pura Batu Mejan.
Choose Canggu for its beautiful beaches and especially for its famous surf spots
The beaches around Canggu are popular for being good surf spots and stretch for at least eight kms.
Discover the three beaches with the best surf spots in Canggu:
- Echo Beach
- Berawa Beach
- Batu Bolong Beach
But it must also be said that these beaches are also appreciated by lovers of relaxation and of course by lovers of beautiful romantic sunsets …
Choose Canggu for its tranquility
If you are looking for a cool, relaxed, relaxing atmosphere, Canggu is the place to go. In fact, apart from a few busy shopping streets with a few bars set to watch the sunset, Canggu is going to be a perfect place to relax. Moreover, many institutions offer yoga classes.
Choose Canggu for its good restaurants
Because yes, if you want to treat yourself more, and generally a little cheaper than elsewhere, Canggu presents a large number of delicious little restaurants for all tastes: local cuisine, vegetarian, vegan, organic, Italian … You will be able to even eat hamburgers!
Here are some great places: Warung Dandelion, Warung Bu Mi, Moana Fish Eatery, Quince …
Choosing Canggu for its accomodations
And yes, the range of cheap hotels in Canggu is great. Whether you are looking for a dream villa, a rental in Airbnb, a homestay or an elegant hotel, you will easily find a beautiful place at an attractive cost.
You will find below my 2 good hotel plans in Canggu that I managed to find among all the offers on the market:
Best cheap hotel in Canggu
The hotel Canggu Bona Kubu at 27 € per night with breakfast included
Why choose this hotel in Canggu?
- For its location: next to the beaches and in the center of pretty rice fields;
- Because he has a nice pool;
- For any mini fare with breakfast;
- Because he is relaxed;
- Because it is clean;
- For the qualities of his staff.
Best hotel deal in Canggu
For its best value (260 Euros per night): Udara Bali Yoga Detox & Spa See this hotel on Booking
Why would you prefer this hotel in Canggu?
- For its location in front of the beach;
- For the 2 pools (1 inside and 1 outside);
- Because he is relaxed and his atmosphere is going to be “zen” (yoga lessons for free and in perfect conditions);
- for its picturesque side (traditional Indonesian style);
- For its services and services (meditation cave, bar offering real fruit juice by the pool, hot and cold jacuzzis, Watsu swimming pool, Finnish sauna, herbal steam room, spa …
- Because it offers a large choice of menus (wide range of good organic and / or vegetarian dishes;
- For its remarkable value for money: just sixty nine € per night!
What could we disapprove of in Canggu?
I was able to explore all the opinions of bloggers and Internet users on Tripdavisor or the backpacker … I have not managed to find a single review on Canggu !
Need a route for your trip to Indonesia?