UBUD or SEMINYAK? If you hesitate because you do not know which place to prefer for your stay in Bali, I present here the qualities and disadvantages of the 2 places.
In this way, you can compare, and according to your desires, you will select the place that suits you best or even, why not, you will decide to visit both!
Why choose the city of UBUD for your trip to Bali?
Located in the heart of Bali, the city of Ubud has experienced a first great development thanks to the trade of medicinal plants. In fact, its name comes from the name UBAD meaning medicine in Indonesian. And a little later, with the arrival of well-known painters, Ubud has seduced artists around the world. And, for several years, it is the tourists who promote the growth of the economy of this city.
- But why this success?
- What will foreigners look for in this famous city?
- Why choose this place over another in Bali?
This is what we will learn in the following article to help you select the best corner in Bali!
Choose UBUD for its geographical location
It will take you about 1h30 by car to get to the heart of Ubud from the airport of the capital of Bali.
Ubud is positioned on the plateaus in the center of the island of Bali in the heart of a green nature (forests and rice fields).
The landscapes surrounding Ubud will be able to attract fans of lush panoramas. They can swim in the waterfall of Tegenungan, go down the river Ayung by kayak, discover pretty typical hamlets, temples, walk along Campuhan, take a walk in the heart of the beautiful rice terraces …
Its central location in Bali will allow you to settle and flirt around to visit other sites of Bali in a few days.
In addition, it is very easy to move to Ubud: on foot, by bike, scooter or taxis for more remote sites.
Choose UBUD for its tourist assets
The main tourist attractions:
- The forest of monkeys or its real name “Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary” cf. my article: One day in Ubud
- Temples and Rice Fields: The temples, in and around Ubud, are numerous and equally interesting (Pura Taman Saraswati, Ubud Palace, Ubud Water Palace, Goa Gajah, Gunung Kawi Sebatu …).
- You can combine the visits by programming, for example, a day to visit the village of Penglipuran, the Kehen temple, the village of Rendang and walk in the rice terraces of Rendang …
- His market: Ubud Market
Choose UBUD for its cultural heritage
Dance shows, yoga classes, meditation sessions, Indonesian cooking classes … you can not get bored in Ubud and there’s something for everyone! And if you like art galleries and painting, you will be spoiled !!!
Indeed, you can discover along the streets of small Balinese art galleries but especially beautiful museums like the Neka Art Museum, the Puri Lukisan Museum, Don Antonio Blanco Museum, the Museum of Art Agung Rai (ARMA ) …
Choose UBUD for its animation and its restaurants
Is it because of or thanks to tourism … but UBUD is explosive, alive, animated, noisy some say.
Ubud city center will suit all those who love the places that move, the bars, discotheques, etc … And for those who prefer calm, hotels or guest-houses at the bottom of a small street or a little outside the center city will be perfect!
Finally Ubud will especially delight everyone who loves to eat! Indeed, there are restaurants on every street corner and the majority are very good (Ibu Rai, Melting wok warung …) and cheap. Note that Ubud is also a paradise for vegetarians and organic lovers (Wulan Vegetarian Warung, the elephant …).
Another nice and well known address to combine restaurant and dance show: The Cafe Lotus.
Choose UBUD for shopping
Of course, you can shop at the market but as it is very touristy, prices are higher than elsewhere.
Otherwise, on each side of the two main arteries of Ubud: Jalan Raya and Dewi Sita, you will find clothing shops, jewelry, souvenirs … for all budgets.
And, in the Jalan Monkey Forest street that leaves from the forest of monkeys and arrives until the art market, you will also find beautiful shops of paintings, sculptures, jewels, clothes …
Choose UBUD for its hotels
There is a large hotel offering for all tastes and all ranges, both in the city center and in the surrounding countryside. The prices range from 15 Euros to well over 100 Euros for the most luxurious accommodations.
For my part, it was a guest-house (which looked more like a hotel) that I had chosen for its very small price: ESTY HOUSE.
It was a nice discovery and I recommend this accommodation if you search like me:
- A location right in the heart of Ubud, close to the market and good restaurants,
- A calm place;
- Spacious, clean, air-conditioned rooms with a small terrace equipped with a rattan lounge …
- A swimming pool in the middle of a small tropical garden IN THE CENTER OF UBUD!
- Free WIFI ;
- Good breakfasts included in the price: 20 Euros per night !!!
What can be blamed on UBUD?
- To be too noisy and crowded (inevitably because of tourism);
- To become more and more expensive even if prices are still low (necessarily because of tourism);
- To lose some of its authenticity (inevitably because of tourism)!
Why choose SEMINYAK for your stay in Bali?
Seminyak is located on the southwest coast of Bali in the continuity north of Kuta and Legian.
More rich and sumptuous than these 2 neighbors, this place interests more and more visitors. For this reason, we will study what are the advantages and disadvantages of Seminyak ….
Choose Seminyak in relation to its geographical position
Its location just a few miles from Denpasar with its airport but also the famous temple of Tanah Lot and then in front of a beautiful beach turns out to be, without question, one of its first advantages!
Like Kuta, Legian or Canggu, his position is ideal for sightseeing, enjoying the beaches, but also getting closer to the airport at the beginning or at the end of a trip.
Select Seminyak for sightseeing
There are not a large number of temples in Seminyak, except for a few small ones that one will sometimes discover at the turn of a street …
However, a few miles away by car or even by scooter, you can easily explore the center of the island of Bali with many beautiful temples and rice terraces.
Choose Seminyak from its beautiful beach
Seminyak Beach is one of Bali’s most popular and beautiful beaches. Very large, it goes from Kuta Beach to Canggu.
Throughout this beach, you can find deckchairs, cafes, snacks, clubs … and of course it is extraordinarily frequented by vacationers from all over the world!
Especially since it is also a nice surf spot and, anywhere along this beach, you can rent surfboards … Then, in the evening, you will enjoy nice restaurants, stylish, to sip some delicious cocktails while enjoying the sunset …
Choose Seminyak for its chic atmosphere
In Seminyak, the atmosphere is cool, relaxed conversely in Kuta. She is also more elegant, classy, rich. You will see many restaurants and sumptuous hotels. It is here that you can rent beautiful majestic villas in the heart of the rice fields with services of superior quality. To relax, you can enjoy spas, massages, meditation lessons …
If you want to party or go out in the evening, Seminyak is also a trendy site with its pubs, clubs, discotheques …
Choose Seminyak for shopping
It will be in Seminyak that you will have to go if you are looking for fashion boutiques. In fact, for several years, stylists from all over the world have been going there and exhibiting their models …
Among the luxury boutiques, you will still find jewelers and beautiful decor and furniture stores.
Choose Seminyak for its hotel offering
Surely, the list of luxury hotels in Seminyak is great. If you want a 5 star hotel, a spring or better a dream villa, you will be spoiled for choice.
Unfortunately the offer of cheap hotels in Seminyak is much smaller … This is why I am going to tell you below the two good plans that I could find:
Best Cheap Hotel in Seminyak
Why choose this hotel?
- For its location: 1 minute walk from the beach!
- For its small price: night from 31 €.
- For its beautiful pool;
- For its tranquility;
- For its cleanliness;
- For its services: bed and breakfast, tv, wifi, parking, bicycle rental …
- For the benevolence of the staff.
Best hotel deal in Seminyak
Petitenget 501 **** is the best value for money: 108 € per night for a fully equipped suite hotel!
Why choose this accommodation?
- Because it is a beautiful apart-hotel: air-conditioned apartments with fitted kitchen, living room with flat screen satellite TV …
- For its location in a classy neighborhood just 200 m from the beach and a few minutes walk from the famous Potato Head promenade, trendy bars and good restaurants;
- For its beautiful pool;
- For its many services: Bicycle or car rental service, massage sessions, laundry service, shuttle service in the vicinity + airport …
- For its singularity (quality hotel with current and simple design);
- For its incomparable value for money.
What can be criticized in Seminyak?
Maybe to be a slightly more expensive and prettier area than other places on the southwest coast of Bali …
Need a route for your trip to Bali?